Safe Holiday Decorating
Are you decorating your home safely for the holidays?
According to Project Holiday from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), more than 800 fires a year begin with decorations and another 200 start with Christmas trees.
Be fire smart as you deck the halls for a festive holiday season with these NFPA tips:
- Be careful with holiday decorations. Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
- Keep lit candles away from decorations and other things that can burn.
- Use indoor and outdoor lights appropriately. Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
- Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for the number of light strands to connect.
- Use clips, not nails, to hang lights, so the cords don’t get damaged.
- Keep decorations away from windows and doors.
Find extra holiday, Christmas tree and fire safety information, videos, and graphics on the U.S. Fire Administration Holiday Safety page.